Thursday, February 25, 2010

Rayona

First off, I LOVE the language the writer uses. Rayona's breath "melting" the air was a unique way to describe something fairly mundane, the description of snow as glittering sandpaper was spot-on and extremely visual, and the comparison between Dayton's rug and a forest pool really captured my imagination. The writing is so fresh and vivid, it pulls you right in.

I also found the different perspectives highly effective. By giving us multiple sides of the story it becomes richer and more complex. I was surprised at Rayona's perceptiveness at her mother's behavior and the interactions between her parents in the hospital room. I was also taken aback at what happened between Rayona and Father Tom. I wasn't sure how to interpret the scene at first, because the writing was slightly disjointed and Rayona uses the phrase "in my dream" when she speaks of kissing him. I was wondering if something along these lines would transpire when Father Tom remarked that she was turning into an "attractive" young woman and asked her about having sex dreams, but I figured that Rayona was wily enough to avoid such an encounter. Especially since she gave no indication of finding him attractive or particularly enjoying his company.

I also keep forgetting that Rayona is half Native American, as the book so often talks about her being half black and having kinky hair. My favorite aspect of Rayona's story was her time at Bearpaw Lake. I enjoyed her interactions with Dave, the only nice guy at the place, and the functional family she found in Evelyn and Sky. Her admiration of the girl in the white bikini was also poignant, as I can recall instances in my own life where I have harbored an odd fascination of girls more attractive or popular than myself. For a fifteen year old though, she sure knows how to handle herself, especially with Foxy and his girlfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment