Thursday, February 25, 2010

Christine

I found Christine to be very immature. I understood where she was coming from by hearing her life story, but I couldn't help but look down on her. I myself have experienced something similar to her sudden and severe religious disillusionment, but didn't go off the deep end because of it. Her need to be with several men in order to validate herself was pretty sad, and her manipulation of Lee into joining the army so she wouldn't lose others' respect and could meet his fellow enlistees was despicable. I know she was young and didn't fully understand the repercussions of war or her actions, but I still can't condone it. On the other hand, I have to wonder if she might have been bipolar. Promiscuity and overdoing alcohol are both symptoms, and her willingness to take any dare and confrontational personality could have been mania-related.

Christine's relationship with Elgin was sweet at first, but I feel that a main reason it went wrong was because of her pride and unwillingness to communicate. Of course, Elgin's cheating is squarely on him, but I have to wonder if things could have gone better for them. She definitely should not have dumped Rayona on Aunt Ida, because they were the only family each other had and Elgin had overlooked Rayona enough to last a lifetime.

Of course, now I'm a hard-ass criticizing all of Christine's decisions, the way Aunt Ida does with her soap operas, wanting her to know all the things she can't see and yelling at her although she's a fictional character...

No comments:

Post a Comment